Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Contrast, Balance, Harmony



      Last summer two of my friends and I decided to get a permit for Kolob Canyon. I had never heard of it before and had no idea what to expect. After two repels and hiking about two miles through a slot canyon, the sound of water became increasingly louder. As we walked around the corner out of the slot canyon, we were faced with this epic waterfall. I immediately took out my phone and caught this picture of my buddy's giving each other a fist bump because of this amazing display of nature.
      I chose this picture because I can see a lot of what we have been talking about in class. I enjoy the contrast between us standing in the dark slot canyon and the light highlighting the amazing sight of an enormous waterfall coming off the red rock. I also like the contrast in color between the green, red and blue.
      Another aspect I liked was the size of the waterfall. Living in a desert it is rare to see waterfalls of this size. You can see the awe and appreciation of the sight by looking at my two buddy's standing in amazement.
      There is also a lot of texture in this picture in the dry red rock VS. the wet red rock. The dry area looks to be grippy and flaky like most dry sand stone where as the wet potion looks to be slippery and more grey because of algae and water deposits.
      Psychologically I love this picture because it is a place that not many get to experience because of the difficulty level and seclusion. We were the only ones that we saw that day that got to experience this awesome sight and that made this experience that much better.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment